Capacity building, raise awareness and research program.
Design Road is a 3-day journey through various countries in which a group of international creatives and experts from different design-related disciplines share knowledge and experiences with other designers, artists and creatives in each country they visit. This programme draws its inspiration from the Silk Road, a network of interlinking trade routes; in this case it is applied to the creative industries in general and to design in particular.
Since its beginning in 2010, and through 2013, Design Road has travelled to 9 cities in the Middle East and North Africa. More than 20 international experts and more than 1,000 local creatives have taken part in Design Road, in addition to the general public that has attended the exhibitions and lectures.
- A three-day creative workshop – 21 hours in total – in each city addressed to local creatives and conducted by a group of international experts in the fields of design and the creative industries.
- Lectures open to the general public to raise social awareness of the importance of creative work and to contribute to its dissemination.
- The exhibition Design Road describes the programmes and collects the work of the participating international designers with the aim of sharing their experiences with the local public.
- Conduct research and case studies with creatives from different disciplines and different cities, with the aim of addressing the lack of information concerning these fields. This research is carried out through meetings with international creatives.
- The programme is addressed to young professionals from all creative fields who wish to learn, exchange experiences, engage in dialogue or collaborate with other professionals in their fields, while receiving creative and technical training.
- To raise awareness among the general public of the importance of the creative industries to foster the countries’ economies.